Exam sessions are conducted by volunteers working under the direction of the FCC and a Volunteer Exam Coordinator (VEC). There will likely be a charge for taking the exam. The exam fee is set by the VEC and is usually US$15.00, so around AUD$20.00 .
Contact the exam session administrator to determine the fee that applies to the exam session you plan to attend, the documents required and to verify the session date and time. VEC organizations may have different policies regarding candidate procedures and requirements. The FCC does not charge a fee to issue an initial license or for standard changes to a license. However, there may be fees for other FCC services.
1. Two (2) Photo ID's (Driver’s Licence & Passport)
2. Register for a FCC issued Federal Registration Number (FRN)
VEC’s are required by the FCC to submit your FRN number with your license application form.
Please note you must have a US postal mailing address to obtain a FRN number.
For instructions on how obtain a FCC FRN number,
visit the FCC's registration instructions page.
Please note that we only accept a valid FRN on your application.
3. If applicable, bring either a photocopy of your current US Amateur Radio licence or a reference copy printed out from the FCC website, the licence information printed from ARRL website, or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous exam sessions. If your licence has already been issued by FCC, the CSCE showing licence credit is not needed. The photocopy(s) will not be returned.
Instructions on how to obtain an official FCC licence copy. visit Obtain Licence Copy
4. You need two HB or No 2 pencils with erasers and a ballpoint pen.
5. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed.
You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.
Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free of notes and formulas.
Mobile phone must be turned off during the exams.
6. Bring cash to cover the exam session fee(s).
Check the ARRL VEC’s current exam fees.